So for our dead tech project Knot and I wanted to ‘Revive the spirits of the African-American music from the old vinyls into the new living forms again’ hence we attempted to deconstruct and reconstruct vintage vinyls into traditional African masks and hoped to have our audiences trigger (snippets of ) music/ embedded (with sensors) within the masks that paid homage to their respective African-American music artists.
PLEASE SEE PROCESS DOCS HERE
So just a recap Knot and I salvaged a whole lot of vinyl records and wanted to re-use them for a piece(pieces) of sculpture(s) that paid tributes to all the great musicians & music we once had. African masks were our inspiration and this is what we ended up with.
The end results were stunning and we managed to create six of them! We were really happy:) Some were more refined as we experimented new techniques with those and all six of them could potentially all be refined and become more sculptural. The best part to this project we thought was experimenting with and learning all sorts of tools, crafts and techniques. Very hands-on also challenging because we had to constantly come up with quick solutions to achieve the shapes/curves/features we wanted.
The other part to our project was that we wanted to somehow incorperate sensors into the masks & hook each mask up with a short sample (of music) using MaxMSP. We could then have our audience conduct their own African band and make their own epic tunes. We however failed in doing so because we were using the wrong sensor. As Katherine suggested we would probably be better off using PIR motion sensors. It would however be costly as we need to get 6 for each individual mask.
Just a little process on the 2nd part: We had something responding on MaxMsp but it was impossible to control because due to the photo-sensor (analogue) it was sending something in continuously. PIR was definitely the way to go.